Monday, February 11, 2013

Healthy Eat More Energy Bars

Description


I am dedicated to myself from here and on.  I am exercising because I want to feel my best at any age.  I am eating healthy because my spirit will continue to stay young and I want a body that won't trap it inside. My kids are going to grow up and I want to teach them how to be their best.  And there is no better way than to model that for them. 

I think the hardest part about eating right and exercising regularly is life style and goals. As a society we tend to work toward short term goals that lead us to failure over and over.  We dedicate low calorie diets and work out regimes to preparing for weddings, vacations, etc.  Then we reach our goals, we reward ourselves with all that we gave up, and soon we've fallen off the wagon.  Been there.  Being healthy is a lifestyle.  It is something you work into your life and make it a routine that you maintain forever.  I want that for myself. 
Description

I like a little pick me up before I go for a run, so here is a healthy "eat more" energy bar I was given from a friend of mine.  It was created by a dietitian in Calgary, Alberta that entered a contest and won with her healthy energy bars.  The recipe calls for brown sugar and I used it this time but the next batch I make I will try maple syrup instead.  If somes one make them, give that a try and let me know how it turned out.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup of smooth peanut butter
3/4 cup of liquid honey
3/4 cup of brown sugar (when substituting with maple syrup use 1/4 less maple syrup than what they call for sugar)
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa
1 cup of cooking oats (not instant)
1 cup of rice crispies (they have gluten free rice crispies that I purchased from No Frills)
1 cup of raisins, or dried cranberries, or dried apricots etc.  I have used all before and they are all fabulous.
1/2 cup of crushed almonds, or unsalted peanuts, or sunflower seeds.  My favorite is the almonds.


Directions:

Grease a 13 by 9 inch pan (I use a glass lasagna dish) with olive oil or coconut oil. 
In a saucepan on the stove, combine peanut butter, cocoa, honey, and brown sugar.  Heat on medium until smooth.  Remove from heat, stir in oats, rice crispies, almonds, and raisins.
Press batter firmly into pan evenly.  Let cool then cut into little bars.  ENJOY!!!!


HEALTHY EAT MORE ENERGY BARS

Follow along in all I say on grOundBlogdaYs


Alicia

0 comments:

Post a Comment