Wednesday, March 16, 2011

How To Trap A Leprechaun

Four years ago I knew a little grade two boy that would fascinate me with his love of leprechauns and his plight to capture them.  I would see him after school every day while out on bus supervision and there he would share his plans of how he was plotting against these,"tricky little people."  He built a trap every year with trap doors, gold chocolate bait, trip wires, and dropping cages.  His traps were sturdy, durable, and fool proof.  This little guy told me that he and his parents had been building traps since he was two and every year he got, "skunked".  "They always steal the gold and find a way out of my traps but this year I am building a jail in the basement of my trap, so there is no possible way he can get out," he would explain.  These conversations didn't just go on as St. Patrick's Day approached, he spoke of his plans throughout the  entire year.  Leprechauns are very small, about the size of your index finger, and are very clever according to this little guy.  I finally asked him one day what he wanted with a leprechaun?  He looked at me very seriously and said, " I want their shoes."  I asked him what would he possibly do with a teeny tiny pair of leprechaun shoes?  He told me that they had magic in them and that he wanted them to make wishes with.  "What are you going to do with the leprechaun once you take his shoes?" I inquired.  He very casually shrugged his shoulders and said, "flush him down the toilet." 


I still know this boy and he is yet to capture his leprechaun.  He is, however, still building traps and happens to be one of the most imaginative kids I know. 


In the spirit of St. Patrick's Day, Tara Philpott-Greene and her beautiful children Ava, Gracie, and Cohen built a few leprechaun traps of their own.  Check out the incredible creativity and hard work that went into making these traps!  Happy St. Patrick's Day!




Follow along in all I say at  grOundBlogdaY

0 comments:

Post a Comment