Saturday, March 1, 2014

After Dinner Pumpkin Spice Loaf

















        

     Winter is a hideous beast.  It hangs on with a grip so tight, you can feel it ripping your skin.  Winter is so cold at times it makes your nose bleed and your body hurt. I dread winter beyond Christmas. No, I just dread winter.
          In my grade 4 Social Studies class we are learning about Alberta's First Nations.  We have talked about winter and what the first natives had to endure living outside.  Can you imagine waiting out winter for 5 months while living outside?  On a night like tonight, so cold and unlivable, I think of them.  I hope those that are homeless are finding somewhere warm.  I worry for them. 

         The house was cracking very loudly last night.  The cold was settling into the bones of our old creaky house.  The house is cozy but is drafty in places too.  The hardwood floors can get cool in spots so I have to keep socks or slippers on the boys.  I felt grateful to be wandering about our little home in my pajamas all day long, baking and cooking.  I wanted something warm and full of delicious flavor.  A pumpkin-spiced loaf would do the trick.  This recipe is moist and so delicious.

    After Dinner Pumpkin Spiced Loaf

    4 eggs
    1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
    1 cup coconut palm sugar
    3 tablespoons canned coconut milk, full fat, room temperature
    1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped or 1tsp of Vanilla Extract
    1/3 cup coconut oil, liquid
    1 cup fine blanched almond flour
    1/4 cup coconut flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves


    Mix the eggs, coconut sugar, coconut flour, vanilla bean, and coconut flour.  Whisk until mixed.
     
    Mix the almond flour, coconut flour, baking power, baking soda, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and ground cloves in a separate bowl.  The black spots in the picture are the vanilla bean.  The inside of the bean was mushy.  I slit it open and scraped it out.

     
    Pour the batter into a large loaf pan or two small pans.  I only have four small pans.  The batter filled two.  Make sure you grease the pan with coconut oil or butter. 
     
     
     
    Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.  The house will smell fabulous.
    This is lovely served warm with butter.  Hollie shared a recipe for an icing that I have not tried.  Mix 1 cup of butter, 2tsp of cinnamon, and 1 tsp of butter.  Whip together.
     

     
     
    Here is a picture of the vanilla bean.  My first vanilla bean experience.
     
     
    I usually buy a bag of slivered almonds and grind my own flour.  It is cheaper.  I use almond flour in a pumpkin recipe here on the blog that is so wonderfully addictive. 
     
     
    I would love to hear about how your recipe's turned out.  I have made this twice now. My husband really enjoyed this loaf.
     
    Follow along in all I say on the grOundBlog.
     
     

0 comments:

Post a Comment