Friday, January 3, 2014

Cookie Monster

Description

     I am standing in the kitchen on yet another snowy day during this Alberta winter.  I am procrastinating preparing to return to work after these glorious two weeks I have had off for the holidays.  I am also procrastinating doing the dishes that have piled into a rather large hill in my kitchen sink.  I think I would rather stand here listening to The Lumineers , drink tea and make cookies. 

The holidays were good.  I most definitely put on a "holiday five" (five pounds) for sure.  Maybe a "holiday ten".  None the less, I have eaten every fabulous scrumptious holiday treat I could find, and over indulged for sure.  I have decided to not beat myself up over it but rather make it a holiday tradition! I'll try to keep it down to a "holiday two" instead. 

I was trying to explain to my husband the other night about my addiction to chocolate and sweets in general.  I dig them.  I love them.  What I just said is actually an understatement.  Before Christmas I was sitting at our dining room table wrapping presents and my husband comes sauntering in with a tray of chocolate covered almonds.  He set them right in front of me.  "Don't set those there.  I will eat all of them."  I warned him.  He left them there. He tried a couple then walked out of the room.  Of course I ate them all.  They are chocolate covered almonds.  Then he returns and is baffled I tore through them so fast yet he doesn't learn.  He sets out trays of Ferrero Roches, tries a few then leaves them open in front of me or he comes home with boxes of Lindors..Lindors!!!  "Control yourself!" , he tells me over and over again.  I don't need to explain this to the ladies.  I don't.  They understand.

Here is a healthy chocolate chip cookie recipe that I refer to as a breakfast cookie because of its natural ingredients, the high protein, and they are very filling.  I have been implementing clean eating into our home for almost a year.  These cookies are right up a clean eaters alley plus they are so delicious and addictive.  My good buddy Hollie made these for me on my birthday and I have gone back to this recipe over and over.  It is my favorite.  This one is for us ladies!

This recipe has been modified the Civilized Caveman's Macadamia nut chocolate Chip Cookies.

Healthy Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies


Ingredients
  • 1 cup almond flour (96 grams)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 3/4 cups macadamia nut meal (75 grams) (blend raw macadamia nuts in blender or food processor) I make my own almond and macadamia nut meal in a bullet.  I find it a little cheaper to buy the bag of nuts and grind them up rather than buy bags of the meal/flour in a store.
  • 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (93 grams)
  • 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) of softened coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (158 grams) (can sub raw local honey) Both are fabulous.
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cup of chocolate carob chips
 
 
Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven to 325 Degrees Fahrenheit (163 Celsius)
  2. Place your almond flour, sea salt, macadamia nut meal, shredded coconut in a bowl and mix well by hand or using a hand mixer
  3. Add your butter, maple syrup, eggs and vanilla in a separate mixing bowl and mix well
  4. Add your wet ingredients to your dry and using your hand mixer or whisk, mix well until you have a nice dough. It may seem a little runny but it bakes nice.  You can thicken it with more almond and macadamia meal
  5. Add in your chocolate chips and mix well
  6. Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, place cookie rounds on your parchment paper lined cookie sheet in the shape you want them to cook
  7. Using a medium cookie scoop I got 12 cookies but you can make them whatever size you would like
  8. Bake for 12-15 minutes for a still chewy but nicely baked cookie (adjust time to your liking)
  9. Remove from the oven and let cool
  10. Enjoy
Follow along in all I say on grOundBlogdaYs
 
Check out Hollie's new clean eating blog: Cave Wife's Cookbook by clicking the picture below.
 
Cave Wife Cookbook
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment