Monday, April 18, 2011

Don't You Forget About Me


It was a different world, say those who were there, a time before IPods in a land innocent of cell phones, Crocs, grunge, hybrids and Ryan Seacrest.  Hair-metal bands roamed the Earth untamed.  Christie loved Billy, Ferris Bueller took the day off, and George Clooney could wear a mullet without irony.  Anthropologists say it was called "the '80s" and estimate that it lasted, unchecked, for nearly a decade.
People Magazine
I was a kid in the '80s.   Teenagers were hanging out behind rock stadiums hoping to talk to the members of Poison, Motely Crue, Def Leppard, Van Halen, and Bon Jovi.  Parents were tucked away at home watching Dynasty, Knots Landing, Falcon Crest. Heart to Heart, and Dallas.  People in there twenties were getting physical doing aerobics with Jane Fonda.  I remember playing  in my mother's clothing drawers and I would find all her sweat bands and striped body suits.


I was living an entirely different life throughout the '80s. When I was ten I was in the basement with Jenny Page screaming into a broom handle WHAT ABOUT LOVE, while Jenny played air guitar.  Those were some of the most intense rehearsals with Jenny and Heart. I loved the music of the '80s.The music was so fun and light hearted.  Every one could enjoy it. I was passionate about  my "AM 106, Top Six at Six..six..six.."  I would lay on the hood of my parents car with my bubble gum pink ghetto blaster anxiously waiting for Rush Rush by Paula Abdul.  I was involve with Keanu Reeves who played this "misunderstood" high school kid that rescues Paula from her "debutant life" and jealous evil boyfriend,  in the Rush Rush video. I would watch MTV and Much Music, listening to Martha Quinn  and the other VJs interviewing David Lee Roth and Mr. Big.  My mother thought the lead singer of Mr. Big was a woman and told us what an attractive striking woman she was.  


I had no fashion sense as I mentioned in a previous blog, and having no fashion sense in the '80s? You can only imagine how I looked.  When I finally busted out of my Jello jumpsuit, I found shiny aerobic tights with a long sweater over top that usually was the brightest florescent yellow you can imagine.  My banana comb never left my hair. (I loved that thing, I wanna wear one now).  I "totally dug" my purple acid wash coat that I would wear with some blue eye shadow and put my banana clip on the side for a bit of a change and tease and tease my hair.  My Tigers sneakers were covered in 'friendship pins' with little beads on them and 'friendship bracelts' on both wrists along with the multiple colorful rubber bracelets. Making a friendship bracelet is a lost art. We had skills as a generation.


On the weekdays directly after school you would find me glued to the T.V. watching Kayla get her voice back while saying her vows, after being deaf for a season and learning sign language, as she married Steve on Days of Our Lives (sigh).  On the week-ends I would have sleepovers and prank people on my pink and green "Swatch" phone that two people could talk on at the same time.  We would stay up all night watching movie like; The Goonies, The Breakfast Club, Mannequin, and Dirty Dancing. Jenny Page was strong so I would run at her and see if she could lift me like Johnny lifted  Baby. 



I turned thirteen in 1990 and the '80s were behind me.  Every one normally says that your teen years are your most fun and memorable.  Mine were in the '80s.  I can only imagine what it would have been like as a teenager or an adult.  I don't think it mattered your age during the reign of the '80s, you were happy and having a good time. 









Description
Follow along in all I say on grOundBlogdaY

DescriptionCheck out on Wednesday how to make a friendship bracelet and other '80s trends

1 comments:

  1. I was a 90's kid... but I barely remember that. I really grew up in the 2000's, and what a let down that has been! While I remember fondly the Family channel, early playstation games and music from Hilary Duff & Simple Plan (among other boy bands), hearing the stories of decades past stirs up nothing but jealousy. I wish I could have lived in the 80's, for the music alone! Motley Crue & Joan Jett are a couple of my favourites... oh to be a teenager then... instead of now, with Justin Bieber taking over the world!

    I think 67 would be the ideal year to be born; early childhood punctuated with 70's culture (The Runaways!) and to be 13-23 in the 80's. This post just reinforces what I already know... I was born 27 years too late.

    ReplyDelete